Wednesday 14 February 2007

The start

Ok so the allotment journey begins! I've just started the process of taking on some allotments with some friends (tbc) down on the Hagg House Allotments (Hagg Hill 2). The numbers we have requested are 47-50.

Having been down there several times we must be mad - there's a forest growing through the site! I'm nipping down in a bit to take some pictures and to post the paperwork off.

So why 4 allotments? Well it might seem greedy (or even stupid due to the state that they are in) but there are a fair few friends who are interested in doing it together and one of them wants to grow food to bless people who are in vulerable positions such as the homeless. So we'll see how it goes and if it ends up just being me.

Who are you and whet do you do? My name is Tchad and I live on Toftwood Road in Crookes, Sheffield and these allotments aren't too far from where I live. I'd like to think that I'll be walking down and back again in the summer but at the moment we'll need heavy tools to chop down the forest so I'll be driving.

My job is Business Consultancy and I have a small firm, Lichfield Consulting. I'm very involved in St Thomas' Church, Philadelphia (nxt to Infirmary Road), which is a church that has came out of St thomas' Church, Crookes.

I'm married to my amazing wife Andrea and we have a gorgeous 10 1/2 month old called Isaac. Looking forward to building him a den onsite when he's a bit older.

I want to say a public thankyou to RobD http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com and to the Gardening and Allotments Group on Sheffield Forums http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=86 as these sites have helped make up my mind to go for the most run-down allotments site in Sheffield, in true pioneering fashion!

Anyway off to go and get some snaps of what I believe will be my sites, could get it wrong as the numbering on the top of my plot to be doesn't match up with the number on the bottom of my plot to be - lol! Having chatted to Bob at the allotments office (Sheff council) he has told me he will number them next time he is down there (we'll see).

1 comment:

Andy said...

Hi there

I've just taken on an allotment, and like yours it's a bit of a jungle, not too bad though. What I was wondering though, what's the best thing to clear the plot? Is it best to get a fork to it and dig it over, or is there something better? It is only 8 pole (aprox 20 feet by 100) Any help would be gratefully received!